Biokinetics is defined as the science of movement and the application of exercise in rehabilitative treatment or performance.
The Green and Zaayman Biokineticists practice is within the Melrose Arch Virgin Active classis club. These exercise specialists are highly qualified and registered biokineticists, all of whom are registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA). The practice provides supervised one-on-one appointment’s aimed at the prevention, rehabilitation and treatment of health-related conditions to all individuals, both to the general public and to members of the Virgin Active club.
The biokineticists make use of therapeutic based exercise for preventative medicine and final phase rehabilitation. We also aim to improve the quality of life by addressing various populations such as orthopaedic injuries, chronic diseases, neural disorders, disabilities, cardiac diseases, stroke rehabilitation, postural problems, elderly disorders and sport & performance enhancement.
Biokineticists make use an initial assessment in order to identify underlying muscular and postural imbalances. Joint mobility, flexibility and muscular weaknesses are measured and evaluated. The subsequent rehabilitation exercise programme is under supervision of the biokineticist and aimed at strengthening muscular imbalances, joint and ligament instabilities while improving the cardiovascular fitness.
Biokinetic assessments and subsequent rehabilitation sessions may be claimed back from medical aid services.
- Orthopaedic assessments and rehabilitation
- Post-Operative rehabilitation
- Postural analysis and correction
- Gait assessment
- Management of chronic diseases eg. cardiac and diabetes.
- Metabolic disease rehabilitation
- Immune deficiency related illness rehabilitation
- Hydrotherapy rehabilitation
- Supervised exercise session for medium- to high-risk patients
- Medical aid-specific testing – eg. Discovery Vitality testing
- Sport specific performance enhancement eg. Golf, cycling, ultra distance runners, triathletes